Thursday, September 3, 2009

Ikea Backlash

I'm sure everyone's been reading about the font change from IKEA. The Swedish furniture maker decided to change the font in their highly distributed catalog from the Futura typeface to Verdana. Futura is a modern looking font whereas Verdana was created by Microsoft for screen use - not print. Here is a link to better describe the change - read the San Francisco Chronicle article here.

Like the Swedish art director, Christoph Comstedt said, "I don't think the average consumer will react", but to all those out there that will or have reacted I ask this: Why change a good thing? Really does Verdana even compare to Futura? I think not.

What do you think... big deal or not?

1 comment:

  1. I guess, because I'm not in the print business, this doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Also, I do not get the caralog so I haven't seen the different font

    ReplyDelete